Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Organizing My Kinders!

The month of September has really taking over my classroom!  I've been busy getting the year started with classroom routines, organization, and everything that a little kiddo might need in kindergarten :)

I would like to share with you how I organize my centers around my little friends.  

My center time is organized into 5 groups.  Each day my kiddos visit two centers.  I began center time by setting up our classroom rules during literacy or math centers.
1.  Use an inside voice.
2.  Stay at your centers the entire time.
3.  Do your best work.
4.  Ask a parent volunteer or teacher for help.

This is our third week focusing on center rules and knowing how to find which center to go to.  My kiddos are getting to be good at finding their name and reading the center board each day.

I organize my literacy centers in this 6 drawer file cabinet that I found at Target.  Each drawer is labeled with the same center card that is displayed on my centers chart.  The drawers are pretty deep so I can keep all supplies in each drawer ready to go.  Once I announce the centers for the day, one child from each group will go get the appropriate drawer and bring it to the labeled table to begin working.


My Literacy Centers are:
Word Work Center:  Practicing sight words and CVC words
Poetry Center:  Poem of the week
ABC Center:  ABC's and phonic practice
Write the Room:  Monthly challenges
Listening Center with response
Computers:  Starfall and KidPix
ITouch:  Language Arts Practice
Magnetic Board:  Magnetic letter practice
Puzzle and Games:  Language arts games
Writing Centers:  Monthly challenges





16 comments:

  1. Where did you get your pocket chart from? It is just what I need for my classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is a great pocket chart! Please share where you found it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the file you created to make the pocket chart stations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get that pocket chart I would love that for this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can find this at Lakeshore Learning Store. It's on sale right now for like $31.99 I think. It even comes with the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I teach second grade this year. I used this chart for years with my first graders:) and I absolutely love it. It works like a charm. I was looking around to see if I could find other ways to do my centers but this one has worked so well that why change it, right? I'm glad I found this post; it helped me see that this one works just fine... thanks for sharing :) www.loopingwithmybuddies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your organization!! Everything looks great. Thanks for sharing some new center ideas! :)

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. How long are they at centers if they do 2 a day? Are you one of them for guided reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 18 students, thinking 4 groups?? I would be one of the centers working with reading groups

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I love this centre organization and think I NEED this pocket chart ;) I can't seem to figure out which one it is on the site - could you please give me a description of it? Is it 10 or so wide pockets and then the columns are made just with the cards, or is it smaller pockets within each row? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a year later. Is this pocket chart still at Lakeshore and does it have a name. It looks so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do all the children visit each center? How often do you change the activities in each center?

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C894%2C464&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1443919345008

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you be able to give us more info on each center (what they have to do, materials necessary)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is included in your poetry center?

    ReplyDelete