Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hall Pass Linky

Did you ever feel like you need a Hall Pass?  Remember as a kid when you were feeling a little sluggish, tired, cranky, you would always perk up with a Hall Pass.  Teachers, it's our time to perk up!
Introducing,


I'm joining my blogging friend Reagan at Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits for this linky party.  Want to have a little fun?  Here's a creative linky I hope you will join!  Let's perk up and get some great ideas from each other!  In this linky you will share the following things:
So here we go :)
P for Product:  My biggest saying is "It starts in kindergarten!"  This is a child's first experience socially, emotionally, and academically.  That is why I LOVE teaching kindergarten.  I know most go to preschool, but everyone remembers kindergarten.  Here is my favorite product that I use with my kinders each and every day.
Piggy Manner Cards


These are my "Little Piggy Cards."  I read one a day and they teach my kinders about manners.  Like I said, "It starts in kindergarten!"  Every child needs to know the little things in life like when to say "please and thank you," or "how to answer a phone," or "what do you do when your mom or dad introduces you to someone?"  To me if a child has good manners and self respect, then that child will do well
 in life... 

A is for Area:  This was a hard one to pick because I LOVE my classroom.  The most original area is my SURF SHACK.
During Plan Do Review, my kinders get to choose an area in the classroom to visit.  In the Surf Shack my kinders can play restaurant and take orders with clip boards and use the cash register with pretend money.  There are baskets of pretend food, cereal boxes, recyclable milk cartons for my darlings to play with.  I also have blank recipe cards for them to write up their very own recipes.  I bought from Lakeshore Learning food cards that my kinders use to write their recipes with.  And yes they do play house sometimes when they visit the Surf Shack too!  

S is for Signal:  My signal might be a little boring.  I do two things.  When we are in deep learning and it comes to the end of center time, I ring a bell and I say, "boys and girls, I need you to FREEZE."  The classroom immediately becomes silent and then I go ahead and make my next announcement like, "it's time to clean up your center and meet me in the rug area."  My second go-to signal is I speak very softly and say, "If you can hear my voice, touch your nose.  Touch your shoulders, etc."  I am a true believer the softer your voice the students stop and listen to what you have to say.  They narrow in on your voice.  It works like a charm.

and now the most important...

S is for Sanity:  For me, every teacher needs a "go to" each day.  Mine is this...
A single cup Keurig coffee maker.  I bit the bullet and bought one for my classroom.  Before... I would run to the staff room... wait in line... and run back!  The kindergarten wing is way at the other end of the school.  Now I can relax... eat my little recess snack... and make my cup of coffee, tea, or whatever!  It's luxury for me!  I can't tell you how great it is.  Sometimes I use it in the afternoon when I'm feeling sluggish.  Now if you want to know the coffee I buy, it's Safeway's brand Vanilla Latte...mmmmm GOOD!  Green tea is awesome too!


Head on over  
and join this linky party by clicking here





6 comments:

  1. Manners for kinders, a surf shack, and coffee! I love it! Terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to teach kindergarten next year. Currently I teach first, but I do love kinders too :) My fiance bought be a keuring for christmas and I use it everyday before I leave! Your lucky to have one in your classroom. My school doesn't allow that. :/

    Sarah
    teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness.... Your surf shack is ADORABLE!!!!!!! So cute! I love clean and neat classrooms! Simple and cute!
    Kaitlin
    http://kandclovegrade3.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, thanks for stopping by my blog! Your surf shack is adorable! I want to be in your classroom. We have a Keurig at home and I love it. I am very fortunate/unfortunate {depending on how you look at it} that my classroom is right next to the lounge. My back door leads to my coat closet which leads to the lounge. It is nice when I need to grab something real quick, but bad when there are treats in there because I can too easily grab them....ha!

    I also do the "if you can hear my voice...." signal sometimes. My kiddos love it. I especially like it when we are in the hallways at school.

    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog Sherry! You rock :) I cannot tell you how adorable your Surf Shack is!! SO cute. I know my kids would go bananas over that. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful ideas! I am excited to be a new follower!

    Love and hugs,
    Khrys
    keepinitkoolinkinderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherry! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your surf shack!!! Toooo cute!! Thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete